Work flow to have a team race in canoe slalom events (Bèta)
This tutorial describes the process of setting up, timing and scoring a team race in canoe slalom. You will get full and detailed results online like in the individual RaceGorilla events.
Remark on this bèta version: As team races in canoe slalom are not held very frequently, some parts of the work flow are still a bit “technical”, we hope to improve this after having gained some feedback.
There has also been a special webinar on Canoe Slalom, So if you take a little bit over an hour to watch it, you get a complete overview of how to organize a canoe slalom competition in RaceGorilla. At the end there is a special part about team races.
- Only 1 run for team events (you could combine 2 runs in Excel if needed)
- No printouts available (you can print the live results viewer page from the browser)
- No check on finish time limitation (you can add an extra section and gate if you need to add 50 penalty point for one team, or use the last gate to add a 50 in case of surpassing the time limit at the finish)
Steps to take:
- Create teams series in your competition
- Create one or more team categories (for example 3xK1M, 3xC1W etc.)
- Create races for these categories in the teams series (At the moment this is done automatically, in fact, you have to delete the teams races from the individual series)
- Upload teams / participants
- Start teams
- Score teams
- Finish teams
- Show team results online
In addition to the individual series, a teams series has to be added. The setting of this series is roughly the same as in the individual series. The start type is individual. Choose 1 run and set the sections (mostly they are the same as in the individual event).
It is possible to add a finish-judge-section, containing one gate. If the maximum time of 15 seconds between the first and last athlete is exceeded, a 50sec. penalty can be added manually.
Create categories and races
Create the categories as needed (3xK1M, 3xC1W, 3xK1W-Junior etc.).
The current behavior of the software is to create races for each category in each series automatically. This is useful for a simple setup, but is not useful when creating multiple series with different start groups.
The teams races have to be deleted from the individual series and the individual races have to be deleted from the teams series. (yes, we’re working on a solution for that….)
Hint: switch on the series column in the races view to be sure you are deleting the correct races
Enter the participants manually or using the up-loader.
More on uploading participants can be found in the upload participant tutorial.
- Upload the 3 participants as if they are individual paddlers.
- The 3 participants per team need to have the same bib-number, as they will be grouped together by bib number.
- The name of the first of the team members will be displayed as the team name in the results.
Timing the team race
When timing the team race it is important to realise you are actually doing a different event within a competition. It is a separate series with a different track and setup.
All timers and judges have to switch to the teams series!
All timers and judges have to switch to the teams series by selecting the pancake menu in the competition menu and selecting the teams series.
Then they can select their timing location or judge section as normal.
The starter then chooses the correct team race from the list.
All participants can be judged individually as normal.
Timing the team race
At the start, select the three team members and start them simultaneously (just 1 tap on the start button). Note that all timers start running at the same time. Do not forget to validate the start!
At the finish, each member is timed individually. Things can get hectic during the team event, (especially when teams should overtake). When a team finishes very close, just tap 3 times and, if needed, re-assign the athletes to get the correct finishing order (by left swipe across the athletes name). The times can be checked according to the 15 seconds here or using the dashboard.
The live results
There is a special teams live results viewer. It shows the team results per race (usually there is one race per category) it can be found using the following link:
Where the first number is the competition ID> replace this with your own comp.ID.
The last number is the Race ID, which can be found in the race menu (make sure the race column is visible). Replace it with the race number of the category you want to show.